Big Changes to Sri Lanka’s Type Approval Process
The RTTE Type Approval Rules came into effect on December 16, 2020 and will impact new devices, as well as previously-certified devices, going into this market. Below is a summary of the type approval changes:
1. One (1) sample will be required to support type approval applications, with TRC reserving the right to request up to two (2) samples for all type approvals (previously only telecom products needed samples).
2.There will be mandatory labelling requirements for all equipment approved by TRC. Labels must be purchased from TRCSL and permanently affixed on the approved products.
3.The processing period of an application for type approval under the Standard Type Approval process takes up to thirty (30) working days from the date on which the complete application package has been submitted to the Commission.
4. Certain categories of RTTE products are exempt from type approval provided that products meet the relevant technical specifications as per regulation.
5. Applicants should submit test results only from accredited test laboratories recognized by the Commission for Type Approval. The date of the test report shall not be older than three (3) months at the date of application.
6. Existing certificates obtained before December 16, 2020 will remain valid for six (6) months; pursuant to new rules, a simplified application process can be used in this case.
7. Validity of certificate changes from three (3) years to four (4) years .
These changes impact all types of products, regardless of whether the certificate still has ample time left on the current certificate obtained prior to December 16, 2020. Applicants are required to follow these new requirements immediately.
For clarity on ANY of the above points, to see if your products are part of the approved exemption list, or for a full compliance review of your devices to ensure adherence to these regulations for any global market, please contact Testing Partners immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (862) 243-2329.